Monday, July 30, 2007

Cell Phone Spam?
So, does anyone actually ever respond to cell phone text message spam? I am getting more and more of these, and they are really irritating. Some vendor has decided that they can use my text allotment, that I pay for, to send me messages about their great deals? They think I am going to respond in any positive manner? Seriously?

I haven't looked into this topic at all, but it seems like there should be a Do Not Call list for this sort of thing, too. Maybe the current Do Not Call Registry does apply to text messages. Someone/some computer is dialing my number.

...OK, I couldn't just leave it at that without providing answers./

From The Privacy Rights Clearinghouse: http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs2a-cellcalls.htm#1:

What can I do if I am receiving spam text messages on my cell phone?

Beginning in 2004, the federal CAN-SPAM law made it illegal to send unsolicited commercial text messages. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has compiled a list of websites to which marketers may not send unsolicited e-mail because the messages go to wireless devices. This list
was compiled with the help of the cell phone carriers.

If you are receiving unwanted messages, it is important to notify your phone carrier so they can get an idea of the scope of the problem. But remember, text messages from your phone carrier regarding your account are not considered "spam" within the meaning of the law.

You can report unwanted text messages to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The FCC cannot award monetary or other damages and does not settle individual consumer complaints, but it can issue citations or impose fines against those violating the CAN-SPAM Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the National Do-Not-Call Registry, and the FCC's related rules.

You may file a complaint with the FCC by:
E-mail :
fccinfo@fcc.gov Online : www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html Telephone : Voice (888) CALL-FCC, or (888-225-5322) TTY (888) TELL-FCC, of (888-835-5322) Mail : Federal Communications Commission Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau Consumer Inquiries and Complaint Division 445 12th Street, SW Washington, DC 20554

----
So, there you have it :)

4 comments:

SassyFemme said...

Can your cell carrier credit you back the spam messages?

Audra said...

WOW! i have never received any spam messages. I would be pissed, those cost me $0.10!

Casey said...

You know - I received one a few hours after yours came in from
501: meyers@toutunobjet.comgreat windows, vista and all adobe software 90% off

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Thanks for putting us on the no call list.

Monogram Queen said...

Thankfully I have never recieved any spam text messages yet - the stupid calls on the house phone annoy me ENOUGH.