Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Appreciating the City

I have been spending a lot of time over the past couple months in our downtown area. I find I love it! I love the old buildings and the new trendy locales, the people on the streets, the music on the corners, the Starbucks and Subway shops that are located every couple blocks. For those on my FB page, you know that about a month ago, I stayed at one of the city's oldest hotels, and the long hallways reminded me of The Shining. Given that we did not actually see any bloody axes, possessed children or the like, I quite enjoyed it. I loved the ornate door plaques, brass fixtures, textured wallpaper, chandeliers.....all in stark contrast with nearby bars and restaurants boasting exposed pipes and industrial handles. Both designs have a feel and a charm of their own, and they co-exist well together. Hmmm....seems the city is starting to win me over. I suspect I will write more about this soon, and maybe even include pictures!

No comments: