Sunday, May 16, 2010

Discussing How Looks Matter

Let's face it, looks do matter. In the work force, at a restaurant, and certainly when dating, I bet most of us pay more attention to looks than perhaps we'd like to admit. We might not even notice that we are doing it, but do the good looking waiters and waitresses get bigger tips than those with uneven features and adult acne? I am betting they do.

I had a conversation with a friend last night about what either of us would do if we made a romantic connection over the internet with someone that we later met in person and did not find attractive. Give it a try because there had been something special in the emails or over the phone? Make an excuse because there is no point in trying to get over the state of not being attracted? Don't people get more attractive the longer you know them and the more you care? Certainly there is truth to "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I think I would ultimately give it a chance, but in the long-run suspect it is more satisfying to be with someone for whom there is an immediate attraction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, being one of those that met someone over the Internet long before even seeing a picture let alone meeting in person, I believe the attraction process stems from getting to know a person and not necessarily fromn that first glimpse. On the other hand, you have to remember I find my wife to be a beautiful woman, so maybe the attraction just sits and lies in wait until you actually meet.

Di