Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hawaii - Here We Come!

It is hard to believe it is almost time for our Hawaii trip! Vicki and I have been together for a year, with lots of back and forth bi-coastalness, and the most time we have ever spent together without one or the other of us having to work is three days...there was almost four a time or two, but I still think checking emails is an interference and doesn't really count as a vacation day.  So, awhile back we decided it would be really good for us to take an extended break to someplace tropical (my preference!) to just relax and be together. With all the travel I have done over the past year, and only working part-time for part of the past year, many of you may be thinking that I don't really need a vacation. Think what you want - I am going! :)

It will be weird in some ways to be doing something this big and fun without the kids, I have a bit of mom-guilt going on - Kaylen really wants to go to Hawaii and learn to surf (!) - but I also know the importance of nurturing the adult relationship.  As for the kids, I have told them that this year, as long as everything stays secure with my job and Vicki's job, we will take them to Disneyland. Here's hoping! (As for Kaylen's surfing lessons, I have suggested we wait until she is a bit older. That should buy me some time!)

We are going to The Big Island, near Kona. We have plans to hike to the green sand beach, and see the manta-rays, but beyond that, are waiting to see what comes our way. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I am so happy for you and totally jealous that you are going to Hawaii!! But I know that you really deserve this vacation considering how hard you worked in law school for 4 years and then all that you have gone through in the last year.

Be sure to take lots of pictures and just enjoy being with each other.

Lynilu said...

I demand pictures! Then I can relive my own trip. :)

Stella said...

Cool that you're going! Volcanoes National Park is a must on Big Island, esp. since Kilauea just had a fissure eruption. And if you have the time and a car, take a day or so to "circumnavigate" Big Island: It's like many different cultures & climates rolled into one.