Thursday, July 03, 2008

Ready for the 4th?

Is everyone ready for the three-day weekend? I know I am! While I am looking forward to spending some extra time with the family, and catching up with some old friends that will be visiting, I am not looking forward to the neighborhood sounding like some sort of battle zone. On the 4th of July itself, I get it. I really do. I even enjoy the pretty fireworks in our neighborhood at night. What I do not get, nor enjoy, is that our neighborhood has already been "celebrating" for a week. Last night was already so loud and constant that we had trouble getting the dogs to go out to do their thing before bed. All that noise makes them nervous. So far, Maddie only barks at them if Jordan starts it. She is a good dog, but she is easily led astray. He has already taught her to howl when we leave the house, and bark at the neighbor's dog at our back fence. Nice. Perhaps he should use his powers for good :)

We'll just be keeping it low key, hanging out in our backyard, having a few family members over for some food, and watching fireworks from our own backyard, probably long after everyone leaves. Hmmm....maybe I should have made up a nice gift basket for us all to enjoy as the evening winds down....some dessert, a bottle of wine, toys for the kids...Yes, that would have been nice. Maybe I will do that as a surprise some Friday night, and include a new movie! What a great idea!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Lynilu said...

I'm with you on the week-long celebrating with fireworks. It gets old, and most animals are uncomfortable with it. That is one thing I certainly DO NOT miss about the city. It is highly controlled here, too, because of the forest dangers. The enforcers take the job very serious, and I couldn't be happier. It is harder to hide, and our crime rate is low enough that it can actually be monitored! Love that!

Hope your holiday .... and the rest of the weekend .... is excellent!

Monogram Queen said...

I am like you I love the pretty hate the noise. Thankfully no one near us does any so Reilly doesn't care.