Friday, November 19, 2010

The Art of Watching TV

I admit I used to be quite the TV addict. About all I seemed to have energy for after work, school and kids, was watching TV. (Yes, Casey was the same way....and yes, perhaps there was an element of our downfall in there.)  Ever since moving out though, I do not watch much TV.  There are a couple shows I kept up on last winter, and now I am only down to keeping up with Cougar Town.  Hey - I like a good comedy - and Courtney Cox is pretty fun to watch!  

I still watch some TV, surfing when I am in the mood, and I do like to watch movies, but it is not an every night thing. Vicki, on the other hand, has pretty much never watched TV.  She has watched a couple series - like Xena and Buffy, and she does watch professional football - but beyond that - TV is sort of an oddity for her. She is fascinated by the quantity of channels and variety of shows.  However, and this was news to me, I have found there is a skill to finding quality shows, and she does not have it.  (Sorry, Hon.)

Often Vicki visits the kids with me on my weeknights with them. Sometimes though, she stays to work, and when I come in late, she has found the remote control and is watching some bizarre show that she cannot explain to me.  I have watched her surf and she finds the weirdest stuff that I would not think to stop and pause for....maybe because I know better.  I know there are quality shows out there - well-written, good actors...etc....but when she surfs, and even sometimes when we surf together....the bad shows dominate. Let me just say that several times the movie, "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" has come across our TV screen. Yes, it is as good as it sounds.  (You did catch the sarcasm, there, right?)

Anyway, maybe we are better served keeping off the TV and searching online instead for obx vacation rentals and planning our next trip to Powell's Books...

No comments: