Friday, March 05, 2010

Have Suitcase - Will Travel


Until recently, unless I was packing for a trip, I didn't think much about luggage. Let's face it, by the time you are packing, it is probably too late to do anything about it. Since January, I have thought more and more about luggage on a daily basis. The reality of my life is that I carry a fair amount of luggage in my car because I stay at multiple locations throughout the week.

I have found there are advantages - spill on yourself at work? There's a change of clothes always handy! Need a corkscrew? I just happen to have one packed in my car! I have learned to pack wisely, certain things go in certain bags, have one bag that goes in with me at night....tricks of the nomadic lifestyle.

What has recently become distressing is that after two months, I find that one of my softsided suitcases is literally falling apart. I found a plastic corner reinforcement piece laying on a neatly folded pair of pants just earlier this week.

Now I see the beauty of hardshell luggage. It was easy to see how it might be nice for those traveling by plane frequently, but now I see that if you stack two suitcases on top of each other on a daily basis, it takes a toll on the softsided luggage.

Hardshell suitcases would allow me to stack without breaking down the integrity of the cases, and also would keep me from overstuffing and scrunching everything so my hatchback closes. It either fits - or it doesn't!

I have noticed more and more of the hardshelled luggage on sale, so have to believe more people want the security of knowing their luggage that is being tossed around airports will likely end up in one piece. Or maybe, as with most things, we just love the trendy look!

No comments: