Wednesday, March 05, 2008

GLBT Rights, Campaigns, and Where Do We Draw the Line?

As many of you know, I am a big fan of The L Word. As such, I sometimes (OK, weekly) check out their web site, Our Chart for previews and podcasts and such. The Executive Director does a nice weekly segment about the social, political and technical challenges of each episode. She's a role model for me and I really enjoy this segment. This week I caught most of a interview that Jennifer Beals (one of the stars of the show) did with Tobias Wolff, chair of the National LGBT Policy Committee for the Barack Obama campaign.

(I'm about to make a law-related connection here - just wanted to point that out...here it comes...)

"Tobias Barrington Wolff is emerging as one of the leading lights among the new generation of public-law scholars. He has been a professor at the University of California, Davis Law School since 2000 and was a visiting professor at Stanford Law School in the 2003-04 year, at Northwestern Law School in fall 2005, and at the University of Pennsylvania Law School in fall 2006.

His academic work spans the fields of Civil Procedure and Constitutional Law, and his advocacy work has included participation in some of the highest profile gay rights cases of the last several years."
(lifted from: http://www.equaljusticesociety.org/about_wolff.html)


The link to that interview is here:
http://www.ourchart.com/node/338899

He is a compelling spokesperson, and I think he'd be a fun law professor.

Barack appears to be a strong supporter of the gay community, as is Hilary. Both have some minor shadows, but both are far superior to John McCain, who has a very bleak record on LGBT issues. I started to print it out here, but decided if anyone really cared to dig further a simple Google search will tell you all you need to know.

It's really difficult to know that I have friends and family that support a political party that believes me and my family deserve less than other Americans. Yes, that is only one issues, and for some of them, a minor issue. For me, it is my life. Would it be as easy for them to ignore that tiny, possibly distasteful piece, if their favored party was saying women did not deserved equal rights or protections? Or that it is OK to make African American people have relationships that are not on equal footing with those of white people? Or that it is OK to be Jewish, as long as you don't talk about it? Just wondering where that line is...

2 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

I have no idea where we draw the line. I am supportive of the Dems and really interested to see which one gets the nomination.

Lynilu said...

I have that kind of family members, too, and I just don't get it. A person can't be thinking clearly and not "get it"!! Why did I get all the good, smart genes????


*#^%$* anyway.