Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Confessions from a Dabbler

I confess, I'm a dabbler. I get interested in things quickly - sometimes pursue them a bit - and soon am onto something else. ("That's not dabbling - that's ADD." Maybe.) I play around with illustrations, electronic and non; I've played at gardening, writing books, various home businesses, and countless other things. I read a lot about Internet marketing trends and what the biggest "gurus" are saying, and fortunately, have invested very little money into any of it. Most of it is free, if you look around enough, or at least, the advice about who to listen to and who not to bother with, is free.

What was my point? Oh, right. If you are anything like most people, you have thought about starting your own Internet business. Everyone seems to be making money there, right? The entire world is potentially your customer or your audience. Cool - but where do you start?

There is so much to know about building a web site, and getting in good with the search engines, and advertising...and on and on, and pretty soon you either give up, or try something out of desperation to make a move. Most people who start a web business end up with no traffic, or pay way to much for what little they do receive. (No - I do not have a citation for that fact. Just trust me. I'm not a doctor and I do not play one on TV.)

About two years before I started law school, I did a ton of research because I wanted to start a business to bring in some extra cash. I finally found a product/service that seemed to offer way more than everyone else at a very reasonable price, plus they had a money back guarantee. I explored their offerings, success stories, samples..etc. and was really impressed.


I finally took the plunge and purchased Site Build It.

What a fun process! Ken Envoy, owner of SBI, walks you step-by-step through figuring out what you are interested in and building a content-based web-site that will attract traffic, and eventually, generate money for you. Best of all, the techie stuff happens without you needing to know a thing about it. It took me maybe a month or so of working very part-time to build up a decent-sized web site, but I could have had it up much faster. Within a few months, or so, I was making an average of $100 per month.

(The site, in case you are interested was: my-disney-family-vacation.com.)

About then, I started really focusing on the LSAT, and left the site on auto-pilot. Once I was accepted, I decided not to renew my annual membership, even though I could have made back the money in just a few months. That was a mistake. It was generating cash! Hello! Well, I was overwhelmed with the prospect of law school, and the 2 little kids, and leaving Wife home alone with them all the time....

Anyway, I have come full circle and plan to recreate the web site, or a version of it anyway, in the not-too-distant future. (Maybe after I've made some progress on my energy law paper.....) I've done a lot of research again, and through independent means, ended up back at SBI again. Their methods are tried and true. No gimmicks. No get rich quick. Just a little work each day or each week (or a lot all at once, if that suits you), and soon you will have a web site that will attract more and more traffic each month. You get the traffic - you can make money.

So, if any of this sounds good to you. Click here to check out more about SBI. If you have questions about my experience, feel free to comment here, or to email me.

No comments: