Thursday, September 01, 2005

1L - First Week - Law School Rocks!

I am having a blast in classes and doing the whole student thing after 17 years of being away from academia (well, as a student anyway). We get to examine things in a million different ways, playing "what if" and "arguing" in class. How great is that? We've already discovered the answer to almost every question is "it depends." YES! A school/profession that revolves around my very way of being in the world. This would drive my partner nuts :)

Yet, it is a mixed blessing. It is difficult to be having fun and being excited when I know how hard it is on my family. Monday was a good day for my partner and the kids, Tuesday a bit worse, and yesterday, my study day, not so great at all. I think whether it is a good day or bad day for them changes by the hour. That is not all due to school, of course, that is also a fair description of life with a 3-year old. Still, it is hard for my partner to be the mom-on-duty almost all of the time and hard on my son, who misses me so much. I miss them too, of course, but know that this is self-imposed, so cannot complain too much on that count. I will try to make the best use of our limited time together and know that because I am doing this now, I will be more available for school activities and such when my kids are older. I truly believe that within a few weeks we will all adjust to our new "normal", but it will be a rough go getting there, and I know some points in the semester will be more difficult than others.

It's going to suck having all of my time so rigidly scheduled and to only having one family day per week. It's going to suck when we have to do errands on family day. It's going to suck to not get enough sleep....oh, wait, that's been the past 3 1/2 years! Still, I think there are going to be a lot of fun times. It's fun to be challenging my brain again. Oh, another thing that sucks is the commute. Gotta run catch the bus!!!!

1 comment:

Casey said...

Ok - who's Paul and why is he is posting a comment? :) And why didn't you say you had updated your blog? Sheesh. Feels like we live miles apart these days. Oh wait - we do. *small sad smile*

I hope you're right. I hope we all adjust soon. Glad you're having a good time in school. One of us shoul dbe having fun and feeling challenged in a good way.
:)