Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Back to School Blues
The post where I confess that I am dreading going back to school.

OK, dreading is a strong word. Maybe "having mixed feelings" is more accurate. I am looking forward to getting back into the swing of school, getting my feet wet with family law and intellectual property and just learning more. On the other hand, we have been having the BEST SUMMER EVER. It's been so wonderful spending time with my wife and two kids - seeing how the kids develop and change every day, laughing over silly things, having water fights, reading stories at night - everything that I get so much less of during the school year. We've been to Disneyland, the beach, Seattle, and done a couple of day trips. We've camped in the back yard a few times, had lots of barbecues, watched lots of movies and Seasons 1 and of 2 of the OC (not the kids, of course) and had dinner together every night. Sure, there have been arguments, crying, yelling, ignoring, and temper tantrums, like every home with kids, but overall, it's been a great summer! Now, the impending end looms like a dark cloud.

Yet, the sun shines through the clouds. The clouds will part. Light will prevail and we will adapt to our new routine of me being involved with law school, my wife caring for the kids all day and into the night, me arriving home after dark and Sunday being sacred Family Day, not to be disrupted by homework. I know once I'm into it, school will be fun again, but right now, I'm already looking forward to next summer.

On an up note - Saturday we leave for Disneyland Trip #2! We are all so excited we can hardly stand it!

4 comments:

Casey said...

Oh yes - the impending doom feeling. I know it well.

Somehow we will manage to adjust once again though honestly, I think I am going to miss you even MORE this year than I did last year. Is that possible? It must be. It feels that way.

Secretly (or not so secretly since I told you this already) I'm glad you aren't bouncing off the walls with excitement. While I want you to be happy and all - I'd also like to know that you are going to miss us and that you love being with us. I'm weird that way. :)

It HAS been a great summer. Probably because we missed each other all school year and we know to get in as many good moments as possible.

Here's to a less rocky 2nd year - and here's to YOU!

Caroline said...

Good luck this year in school. Love reading your adventures. BTW, came across your blog through Casey's. You have a great family. Have fun at Disney.

Zuska said...

Have a great time in Disneyland (we're going in September ... I'm even going to MISS SCHOOL!)

and best of luck to your entire family with the transition. I hope it goes as smooth as is possible.

Holly said...

Disneyland! I am so jealous, I missed going when we were in Anaheim last month.
End of summer stinks but you will get right back into the swing of things. Best of luck.
BTW - tried sending you an email, but it bounced back. Try me again@ hollykr1976@yahoo.com